Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Dir: Peter Jackson

I watched The Hobbit last night and I have to say I have mixed emotions about it. Being a huge fan of the Middle-Earth universe and Peter Jackson craft, I had more hope for it to succeed than expectations to dazzle. The movie critics specially the top Critics from www.rottentomatoes.com haven’t been kind to the film giving it 42%. The fans on the other hand seemed to love it.
The film is based on the The Hobbit which is a fairly small book. How they managed to stretch it into three films is beyond me. Considering this, the pace of the movie is not as slow as I was led to believe. Gandalf says “out of the frying pan and into the fire” and it does feel like that in away with the continuous spectacular action scenes.
On other places, like Gollum Cave, it does feel stretched out too much. The dialogue is long, the game they played is a bit idiotic and it slowed down the movie considerably. The sense of urgency is gone. The actors were great. Most of the dwarves are indistinguishable and you don’t connect with most of them actually. Bilbo Baggins played by Martin Freeman is mediocre. It’s the worst thing about the film actually. I enjoyed him a lot in Sherlock but in The Hobbit he seemed out of place, out of pace, and out of sync with everything around him.
The experience is still spectacular. Middle-Earth is still raw, beautiful and beyond reach. I am still going to watch the movie many, many times I’m sure. It’ll end up as one of my holiday movies and I know that I’ll grow to love it more and not mind its flaws.


Verdict:
❤❤❤❤❤

No comments:

Post a Comment